A forum for modern Gamers.

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tenrowsei

Tenrowsei

Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath Empty
PostSubject: Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath   Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:24 am

So starting off i checked the psn today to see what kind of new things are being brought down onto the playstation. I was overjoyed to find asura's wrath as a playable download and slightly joyed to see FF XIII-2. I downloaded and played both of them extensively and will compare them here and give my personal thoughts on the way they played.

First, I played Asura's wrath, seeing as it would be worlds shorter in demo form, and i was right. The gameplay is unique but not unfamiliar. Bayonetta/DMC and god of war are two similar titles but nowhere near a copy such as dantes inferno. Half the game is a fighter, but the other half involves bullet hell style gameplay in three dimentions. The two mix very well and you can seemlessly switch between the two modes of attack, but mostly the whole thing is highly interactive and cinematic. bossfights are unique and best of all no skip buttons for the parts with huge monologue

instead you can choose to attack them early. hah! and it's even rated teen.

overall it's a unique little game that i suggest everyone give a try as the exact style of play eludes my ability to describe

FF 13-2 was quite a different story. It's long and drawn out, offering little explaination but a lot of world depth, something I would have liked Asura's wrath to do for its demo (though the character asura is much more emotional than say kratos or dante, and beyond lightning) but while asura's wrath was indeed a demo, FF seemed to take a chunk of the start of the game and hand it to us free, theory supported by asking for a save file to be made for a demo...

Overall the new things they've implemented are most likely going to be polished and touched up but fundementally the same as the due date is just 20 days away. The monster system is flawed and have little sense of balance or choice when cait sith seems to out heal serah and can do serious damage in general.

The enemies showing up on map which you can avoid via circle is...nowhere near unique and implemented poorly. .HACK//G.U. did this better and made it so enemies don't spawn ON TOP of the character, nor are the situations they put you through. A few times i was running and decided to stop only to somehow initiate combat when i had been standing still a second or more.

The fighting system is very much the same, nothing new and nothing much to say. I didn't care for the style to begin with, as G.U. used something similar but allowed me to actually run around as my character rather than let the rather dim AI decide where to let my character flip or jump around. The QTE's are also not veried and follow a formula of L-stick then one of the command buttons in short order as well as all the monster attacks having only one version to use (cait sith is Triangle square, forever)

Square enix has created something that can be disliked more then FF X-2 and this should give them a hint to stop making direct sequals such as this and should have instead packaged this as some sort of 3 dollar DLC. I wouldn't give this to a friend as a present, nor would i give it to someone i hate as a cruel joke. Coming into it I was open to the expirence, along with my usual snarking conjecture about how terrible it'd be, however it only proved me right.

This game isn't worth my 60 dollars, nor anyone elses, however i'll borrow it from the poor sap near me who will play the poor sheep and purchase this game (probably juno) and suffer through the expirence to give it a review

demo scores/conjecture about full game
Asura's wrath: 5.5-6.0/10
FF XIII-2: 3.5/10
Back to top Go down
Tenrowsei

Tenrowsei

PostSubject: Re: Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath   Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 am

also, a few things that i found an issue with the healing potions, it only heals at best some HP off the 'red' bar behind the HP bar, making in some situations the healer useless as she wasn't healing herself, and potions didn't do a damn thing.

and the jump button only lets you jump in the predesigned jump locations, you cant even hop a fence into an area you can walk to, making the whole thing a false option
Back to top Go down
Tenrowsei

Tenrowsei

PostSubject: Re: Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath   Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Asura's Wrath

FF XIII-2
Back to top Go down
XrX Doribi XrX

PostSubject: Re: Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath   Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I have played the Demo for Asura's Wrath, to be honest it did not wow me as much as i thought it would from the trailer. Don't get me wrong but it felt like it was nothing but quicktime events, and the occasional one is good but when most of the game is taken up by them it gets really boring really quick. The story might be good in the fully released version but the two levels they give you to play in the demo just do not stand well on their own. The main character is starting to feel like a walking cliche as well, and that is never a good thing. All in all i will reserve judgement until i see the full version of Asura's wrath.
Back to top Go down
Tenrowsei

Tenrowsei

PostSubject: Re: Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath   Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 pm

completely understandable, and yes a portion was quick time events, though it did involve you a bit more than most QTE's. Another thing about the demo; both playable parts were boss fights xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath   Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two Demos! ff XIII-2 and Asura's wrath
Page 1 of 1